Friday, January 22, 2010

It's Girl Scout COOKIE time!!!

If you haven't already had the pleasure of a cute little girl knocking at your door with cookie pre-sales yet I'm sure it's only time! I think I love cookie sales just as much as Celeste does! She's such a go getter and oh how I enjoy watching her confidence soar as she walks up to doors and people within our community; to see her eyes light up as she introduces herself and "sells" the real meaning of Girl Scout cookies. Yep, there's ALOT more to it than just a box of cookies from a girl...
The Cookie sales are more than just a fundraiser, it's a fun way for girls of all ages to earn the money that fuels their dreams and troop activities throughout the entire year. It's also a powerful, hands-on leadership and entrepreneurial program. Celeste will learn to inspire change with donations made through this season, DISCOVER how her sister Girl Scouts can make a difference right now in our ever changing world, CONNECT with people in her community, and TAKE ACTION not only in her own neighborhood but far beyond with the amazing donations made by our friends, family and community! She will learn responsibility, communication skills, financial and math skills, self-confidence, teamwork, honesty and integrity through the next couple of months and will spill over into the rest of her life. Celeste has set her personal goal of 500 boxes in lieu of a week of Girl Scout summer camp as well as $50 to spend at the Girl Scout store. Last year her troop donated almost 500 boxes of cookies to Operation Cookie Drop a Gift of Caring to our military troops overseas. This year our Troop (#871) will be donating cookies to the Ronald McDonald House of Pensacola, FL general population may not know that with one box of Girl Scout cookies ONLY 28% goes to the cost of the cookie...the other 72% ALL goes back to the Girl Scouts through camps and out of this world programs! No one is getting a pay check out of cookie sales, no money is going to anything BUT the girls!! So, if you get that knock at the door or you see those cute little girls at their colorful table in all sorts of our Girl Scouts...our future girls with courage, confidence, and character, who are striving to make the world a better place.

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Pensacola Beach

Today the family was able to venture down to the beach. It was in the high 30's but with the could say COLD! That didn't stop our fun! The kids were still able to fill their buckets with shells...we have brilliant white shells and a sink full of sand to prove it! We chased the birds and they did some serious dive bombing us for food at times..and we didn't even have any! Guess even the birds can hope! We walked the super long, very windy, unbelievably cold pier. Celeste loved that she was "in the water" and Lance thought it was scary...course he did find something interesting at the end...
The best part of the afternoon was that we were all together....and it didn't cost a dime!! Even FREE can be fun when you're with the most important things in life! Now I have my moments of "ugghh" due to the military but oh how lucky are we that the Navy takes us places with amazing views like these!